Monday, October 13, 2008

Looking for fun? Head for the Hills...

The birthday bash was what I most wanted to communicate to you about the last couple of weeks. So, I will just quickly give you an idea of what else has been going on here lately. I just wanted to hit a few high points. Again, I love you all and appreciate your prayers more than ever. I can’t say that enough. The need for prayer never fades. Thank you so much!

As time is winding down here, I have gone from being sad about being away from home to sad over having to leave this place shortly. The biggest thrill for me, and I think for the students as well, was the three-hour hike I went on with the older children up to the top of a mini-mountain (what most people would call a “hill,” but I want to be dramatic). Earlier in the week, we had the older children bring sugar cane with them to school so they could eat it at the top of the mountain. For your information, sugar cane looks just like a stick, but if you peel back the outer shell, it is filled with sweet nectar that tastes like—you guessed it—sugar. I was laughed at for a solid ten minutes after my attempt to eat it. It is extremely hard on your teeth to eat, but it does taste very good. Anyways, we marched from the school all the way to the top of the hill while we sang, danced, and joked around. I know I always talk about the views I see in Kenya, but this view was spectacular. We sat at the top, ate sugar cane, and took class pictures. It was so much fun for all of us and quite a relief, considering I had been promising to take them for weeks. The next day, Hesbon, Karlee, and I took the orphans up to a smaller hill where we read them a story and gave them sweets. If you want to plan something fun around here, make sure it includes a hill. It’s instant fun.

The following is a random paragraph about all that I have been doing at school lately. I have been coloring with Class 1 (ages 5- 7). I have been playing Jeopardy with Class 4 (ages 10-12). By the way, any game that I play, I almost always offer a sweet to the winner. It ensures the children will pay attention. A game that Karlee taught me has been a huge success with the older classes. She calls it “Pacman.” You may have played it in school growing up, but you must remember that I was homeschooled. My games included going outside to play basketball or attempting to sneak upstairs to watch Sportscenter. But enough about me. Pacman includes having the children all stand up and spread out as much as they can so they can’t reach out and touch someone. I would yell out a basic math problem, and the first child to answer it would get to take a step in any direction so they could touch someone. If you touched someone, that person had to go sit down. The last person standing was the champion. I have also been coaching and playing a lot of soccer (which they call “football”) and basketball. Basketball has been embraced by the girls in a huge way. They never get to play soccer with the boys, so they play basketball any chance they get. I wanted the boys to love it as well, and they have enjoyed it, but it seems like it will be a bigger sport for the girls. As long as it gives someone an opportunity to have fun that is usually excluded from soccer, I am happy. It has definitely served its purpose.

I have been to Kakamega twice in the past week. I have told you about it before, but to remind you, it is the closest of what we would call a city to where we live. It is about thirty minutes away. Not a lot happened on my trips to Kakamega. I went to pick up birthday packages from my mom and dad and from Emily Bowman. Thanks to all three of you. They were amazing. I just wanted to describe the way we always get to Kakamega. I think I have mentioned them before, but we ride on vehicles known as “mutatus.” They are vans that should hold about ten people, but they will literally squeeze 20-25 people in one mutatu. The conductor will sometimes be hanging out the door as we are driving. The mutatu will go about 50-60 mph on a road filled with potholes, weaving around them and other mutatus driving straight at us. On our most recent trip, my mutatu had about four chickens on it flapping around and making lots of noise. If all of this sounds embellished, just ask Emily or someone else who has been here. It is an experience that is almost impossible to imagine until you experience it. It is frightening, uncomfortable, and one of the best things I have experienced here. You have to ride a mutatu in your life.

I wanted to let you know that the new Sports Plus team just arrived. The team is made up of one doctor, three nurses, a husband of one of the nurses, and the president of Sports Plus. They have been a blessing so far. We picked them up Sunday, October 5th from the Kisumu Airport. It should have taken us two hours to get there, but we spent about an hour of it going to the police station. I guess our mutatu did not meet regulations—whatever that means. Apparently it’s illegal to operate one with mirrors and windows missing. But the team has definitely been great. I have spent some time with them, and they are so encouraging and friendly. I will be spending the next few days doing mobile health clinics with them. I am not sure what help I can offer, but we will see! I am excited!

I also want to add something to the blog in which I discussed feelings in Christianity. I want to clarify my statements. I absolutely believe that we CAN experience God’s presence, and I believe that God has been very near to me during much of my time here. But I am simply saying that is not always the case. I am not sure if I made that clear or not, but I am hoping to do that now. Paul, David, and others in the Bible talk about their experiences and encounters with the Lord. David spoke on several occasions about being satisfied by God alone. Paul considered everything else as loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Jesus Christ. They experienced God’s presence and comfort on so many occasions. But if you read the Psalms, you will also see that David suffered deep times of despair in which God felt so far away. As I wrote in a previous blog, David even pleaded with God that His presence would not leave him. That is all I am saying. I have sensed God’s fullness here, but there have been times where He has felt distant. It is during those times that I have trusted that God is near and living in me, even when I don’t feel it. I have been put in the position where I am forced to lean on the solid Rock of Jesus Christ and accept that He is sufficient for me. As my amazing friend Kevin wrote me, “He is enough—remember—He is enough.”

I have been learning that I am a new creation in Christ Jesus. I have always heard that, but it is becoming more real to me now. I don’t have to try and live the Christian life or try and feel God. The Bible tells me to abide in Christ. That has been one big theme in my life recently. When I wake up, I don’t have to fret and worry about all that I have to do that day (although I still do worry too much). I remind myself that I am a new creation, and it is now Christ that lives in me. I no longer live. Fully understanding that truth will enable me to simply rest in Christ—to let Him do the living. I must allow the Holy Spirit to live through me. If I could wholly grasp that fact, I can only imagine the dynamic life of Christ I could experience flowing out of me. My prayer for us all is to come to the point in our lives when we relinquish control of our lives, rest in Him, and let Him live through us. I want to quit striving and trying to earn God’s favor or attempt to serve Him on my own power. Christ lives through me now. The old Matt Seitz should be and is dead. Now, if I can only get out of the way and allow Christ to move in me and through me.

Thanks again for all of your comments on here. I finally got to read some of them. I love you guys so much. So many of you have sent me emails and told me that you were praying for me daily. I am humbled by this whole thing. This is incredible. God is moving. Please continue to pray, and I will see you all soon!

No comments: