Monday, November 3, 2008

The Chronicles of Nairobi: the Beginning

Well, I have finally made it to Nairobi. Actually, I’ve been here for over a week now, so I have to catch you all up on a lot that has been happening. Life is a lot busier here in the city than in the village. There is so much more to do in the city during down time, and inevitably a lot of interesting stories arise. Let’s get right to it.

I arrived in Nairobi on Saturday, October 25th, after spending an incredible week with the Potters in Botswana and Zambia. You can read more about that on the “Safari with the Potters (and Edward Longshanks)” blog. It was absolutely incredible. For the first few days in Nairobi, I stayed with a two-year Journeyman missionary named Josh Glidewell. I went with him to Ridgeways Baptist Church on Sunday, and that afternoon there was a cookout held by the International Mission Board (IMB) missionaries here, welcoming some of us new young missionaries to the field. I have to quickly say here that these missionaries are some of the most hospitable people that I have ever met. Many of them invite us to come stay at their house, have dinner, hang out with them and their children, and welcome us to go on weekend trips with them. It was neat to talk to a lot of them who knew or know of Bro. Bobby Welch, who was my old pastor in Daytona. First Baptist Daytona has quite a few ties to the mission field out here in Kenya and Tanzania, specifically through Tim and Annie Tidenberg. Or should I refer to them as one of my many mothers and fathers here? The Tidenbergs know a lot of people from First Baptist Daytona because our church has sent people to go on mission trips with them during their stint in Tanzania. It was Jim and Peggy Brown from Daytona and the Potochnik family that told me how great the Tidenbergs are. They were absolutely right.

I officially met Tim and Annie Tidenberg on Tuesday, the 28th, which is the day Matt Potochnik and Erin Lombardi got here! Tim directs and oversees the missions work being done in several countries in East Africa. These are the people the three of us (Matt, Erin, and I) will be staying with during our time here. We are staying at their beautiful home that is gated, has an awesome porch, a cool swing, and an elaborate garden. They also have a lot of pets—several dogs, including dachshunds with puppies, an African bird, a rabbit, a turtle, and a cat. It’s like the Animal Kingdom up in here. I love it! They have made all of us feel right at home. The first day I met them, we spent a few hours cleaning out one of their storage containers and getting to know each other, and we had a great time doing it. That evening, we all went to pick up Matt and Erin from the airport. When I saw them walking towards us, I can’t even describe how happy I was to see them. They looked even more beautiful than I remembered them.

I’ll tell you the light and interesting experiences that have taken place before I get to what God has been doing in my life and in the city. I have solidified my place as the team klutz or the team bonehead within the first week of being here. The day that we went to pick up Matt and Erin, I was playing piano in the living room of the Tidenberg’s house. I wanted to turn off the light after I finished playing. What I didn’t know is that the Tidenbergs have light switches and “Send Policemen to Our Home” switches. I bet you can guess that I didn’t flip the light switch. I didn’t know I had done it until, when Tim and I were chatting, he said, “Is that the police?” They came to the door, Annie explained to them what had happened, and they were on their way. Tim and Annie were not upset at all, and Tim even said, “I’m glad you did it so we could see how long they would take to get here during an emergency. And 15 minutes is definitely too long.” I like to think I was helping to improve the future security of the home.

Here’s one for you: I had a hole drilled in my big toe’s toenail this week. Ok, that may be a dramatic way of saying it. It really happened, but I will explain. I was playing basketball the first Sunday I was here, and I was wearing casual dress shoes because my tennis shoes were at home. Those shoes were extremely hard on my feet. My right foot kept banging the front of the shoe until I could feel my big toenail starting to come off. I didn’t quite lose the nail (yet), but it turned black and was filled with all kinds of gross liquid. I won’t be any more graphic than that. There is a man that works for the IMB here named Doug Lee, and he told me that he could drill a small hole in the nail so it could drain. So he took a drill and a small drill bit, and he slowly carved out a tiny hole in my toe nail. I don’t want to be disgusting, but a lot of liquid drained out of that hole when I put pressure on it and soaked it in a hot salt bath. My nail now feels one hundred percent better. I think I will still lose the nail, but I would kind of like a new nail because my old ones are pretty dirty from living in the bush.

There are a couple of quick final things that lead me to believe that I am the team curse. Earlier this week, I got Nairobi Eye. Evidently there is a little bug here in Nairobi, and if you kill it and the blood is wiped on you, it causes you to get some sort of blister/rash wherever the blood was smeared. Fortunately, my Nairobi Eye is only on a small part of my neck, but I still think it’s cool to say I have Nairobi Eye, even though I’m not exactly sure what it means. Finally, some of the guys here went to an Ethiopian restaurant earlier this week. I was chewing on a tough piece of meat, and it did something to my lower retainer. Now, my permanent retainer is a little jagged and poking me a bit, but I can’t see what’s wrong with it. It may need to be fixed when I get home. Oh well. This is Africa!

Enough of the bad news and the stupid things I have done. My short time in Nairobi has been filled with constant fun so far. Like I said earlier, there is always something to do. The fun started when Matt and Erin got off of that plane. I was overwhelmed with gladness when I saw them. They have been fantastic to be around, and I am so excited that we are a team. We have been praying together, growing together, and we are definitely being stretched together. I will definitely be even closer to both of them after this time is done. I am so grateful to be experiencing this with the soon-to-be husband and wife. They are both very special to me.

I want to share with you what I know we will be doing in Nairobi. Unfortunately, a lot of what happens here we don’t know about until the day before it happens or even on the day it is supposed to happen. We do know this: we are here to build relationships with college students on the campuses of Nairobi. We have had several meetings with the man who will be directing our ministry with the college students, and that man is Rodney White. He has been so helpful, and we have been careful to spend a lot of time in prayer together before we just barge on to these campuses. This ministry is brand new, so we have to be patient during these beginning and possibly slow stages. He has to pass through a lot of people before any particular school will give us the go-ahead to start the ministry on campus. We desire to find a small group of guys and girls to pour ourselves into for the short time that we are here. One of the ways we are going to get in with some of these groups is to have them teach us the Swahili language. Kenyans love teaching others their language, and they are honored when outsiders try their best to learn. I will update you more on this when I know exactly what is going on.

The last thing I want to tell you is what God has been teaching both me and the team members so far. The key theme that keeps coming up in our daily lives is “abiding in Christ.” I keep wanting things to happen quickly here, so that we can get the ball rolling and start working. But I have learned that is exactly what I have been doing wrong. My mentality has been that I am here to do. I have been here to do all that I can for the Lord. But that is the wrong mindset to have. God has called me here, and if anything is going to happen or if there is any fruit to be seen from this trip, it will have to be God Almighty doing it. So instead of being discouraged that things are moving a little bit slow at first, I have been at peace that I am exactly where God wants me to be. All I can do is abide in Christ daily and allow Him to express His life through me. That is all any of us can do. If we are resting in Christ and allowing Him to do anything He wants in us and through us, then amazing things are going to happen. There are no limits with God. However, there are limits with man. If this mission trip depends on what I can “get done” for the Lord, then it will be a complete failure. I am offering up myself to God, allowing Him to do whatever He pleases with me on this trip and beyond.

However, I am not taking all the responsibility off of myself. The Bible does talk about serving the Lord wholeheartedly. There are certainly things we are called to do. But they all spring forth from us abiding in Christ and allowing Him to express His life through us. I know we have all heard it, but God really is most interested in who we are becoming. He wants us to be conformed to the likeness of His Son, Jesus. If we are allowing God to shape us into the beings that He wants us to become, then we will undoubtedly do what He wants us to do. We will do what He wants us to do, because it will actually be Him doing it through us. That is how my perspective has changed throughout this trip. I first set out to do things for the Lord and to serve Him with all that is in me. Now I am simply letting Him rule in me and live through me, resting in Christ every day and allowing Him to do the work instead of me. This is grace—that Christ would give us what we don’t deserve: His life. We have His life living in us. I’m not trying to act like I have it all figured out, but there has definitely been greater peace in my life because I have allowed Him to do the living.

Well, this is the end of the first and long Nairobi blog. I apologize for the length . Life really is a blast here, and I still cannot believe that I am getting the chance to do this. Just yesterday morning at church I learned a couple of new praise songs in Swahili, and I was able to play them on the piano. I also lost a bet on Saturday, and I had to make breakfast (omelettes, toast, and bacon) on Sunday morning--with considerable help from the team. It’s these little things that are making life so sweet and dear to me here. I think I have some African blood in me, because I definitely enjoy this way of life. There are certainly some negatives, but there is something pure about this place. Until next time, I want to say I love you to my family and my friends, and I am positive that your prayers are helping to see me through. Kwaheri!

3 comments:

Mark Walker said...

Matt,

Thanks for the information on your post. I'm amazed at what God has done and is doing in your life. No doubt this will both shape and define what God has in store for you. It will be all the more special when you can sit down one day with your children and grandchildren and share with them this historic time in your life. BTW, your gators are doing fing - for now! Take care and may God keep you "abiding in Christ."

Mark Walker
bmarkwalker@msn.com

Mom said...

so where is the safari with the potters and edward longshanks blog?
Time is moving fast........Enjoy your mission there! It is a thrill to be your mom and see what God is doing! Love to the Tidenbergs and the rest of the team. I love you!

Carly Sewell said...

haha, i definitely laughed about the "light switch". :)

it's great to hear what's going on! keep up the good work!