Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Obamarama

Hello my fellow Americans. I hear that you guys have been busy this week, electing a new president and all. As most of you probably know, Obama’s father was from Kenya, so there has been more coverage of this election and more excitement surrounding it than I have ever witnessed in my short life. The Kenyan people have partied like crazy over his becoming president, but I will touch on that later in the blog. I am writing this on a rainy and very cold Sunday morning, just after returning from church with the Tidenbergs (to remind you, these are the people we are staying with). Our electricity is out, and the power people told us that the entire nation has lost power. We doubt that is the case, but nevertheless, we are starting a fire and will have lunch around it to keep warm.

A lot has happened here in Nairobi since I last wrote to you, so I will take you through some of the highlights. Some of you may wonder what there is to do for fun around here. I will say that after spending nearly three months in the village, the Nairobi experience has been the polar opposite of the village experience. There really is a lot to do here, while in the village there is a lot of sitting around time. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, so I can’t yet decide which I prefer. At the Tidenbergs there is a mall nearby called West Gate, which is about a ten minute walk from our house. We are usually there every other afternoon or so, after we have done our work for the day. Matt, Erin, and I sit at a coffee shop called Dormans, where we talk, pray, update our blogs, and e-mail our friends and families. The mall also has a really nice movie theater. Just yesterday, we saw the new James Bond movie. It is so cool to me that I got to see the new Bond movie in a mall in Nairobi, Kenya, thousands of miles away from home. I guess I never expected to be able to go to a nice movie theater in Africa. Speaking of movies in Kenya, before most showings of a film the Kenyan national anthem is played. It is considered very disrespectful not to stand up with the rest of the moviegoers and honor the Kenyan flag and the country. Anyways, there you have a little taste of the mall we frequently visit.

Most of the other fun activities we do revolve around what the Tidenbergs have planned. They are always looking out for us, and they have made us feel like their family. I cannot begin to tell you how grateful Matt, Erin, and I are for them. They constantly have dinners planned for us with other missionaries, nights out at unique Kenyan restaurants, or afternoons at Kenyan markets (filled with intricate wood carvings and other trinkets at very good prices). This past week, the Tidenbergs arranged a big dinner over at the Yates’s home for Erin’s 23rd birthday. The Yates are an incredible missionary couple who have been in Africa for the greater part of their lives, and we had a great time celebrating Erin’s birthday with them. Also earlier this week, we had a night out at the Diamond Plaza, a shopping center filled with Asian shops and restaurants. One of the most popular items in the stores is the collection of pirated movies. It is not illegal here to sell pirated copies of movies. They get the new movies on DVD well before we ever see them on DVD in America. I don’t want to get into a big debate about ethics, so I won’t tell you that I got all the Lion King and Toy Story movies on one DVD for $4.00. I won’t mention that to you. Shhhhhh. Finally, I’ve had a lot of fun spending two nights in the hospital this week. Don’t you worry mom—I was staying with a friend who just had surgery. We spent two nights in the hospital after his surgery, and we got to follow all that was going on with the election and discuss the college football scene until we fell asleep.

The last thing I want to share with you before I get into what God has been doing in Kenya is the obsession that Kenyans have over the US election. I would be remiss if I didn’t let you know how they have reacted to it. I never thought people could get so excited over an election held in another country. I am not writing this to start a political debate or talk about my political leanings, but I do want to paint a picture of the expectations the Kenyan people have for Obama. Since his father was born in Kenya, many of them believe that he is going to do whatever he can to save their country. One lady in the newspaper wrote, “I am so happy he was elected president and has a congress who will write him a blank check to do whatever he wants. He is Kenyan, and he will give so much to help us.” The Daily Nation declared that Kenya is now the honorary 53rd state of America (I wasn’t aware we had 52 states). Every Kenyan we talk to believes it will be so much easier to obtain a visa now that Obama is president. One article declared, “If Obama is elected, Greed as a human ambition will end worldwide.” The excitement here is more than tangible, but there is no word I can think of to describe it. I can’t walk anywhere without getting asked who I voted for. Unfortunately, many Kenyans believe that he will look out for Kenya’s best interest rather than the best interest of the American people, so it will be sad to see their reaction when they realize he won’t be sending them a blank check anytime soon. There are supernatural expectations being placed on Obama’s shoulders by the Kenyan people. This past Thursday, Kenya even had a national holiday. School was canceled, and many people didn’t go to work, just so they could stay out late, drink, and celebrate the victory of their Kenyan brother. It will be interesting to see what happens in this country over the next year or so.

As you may have noticed, I was a little bit frustrated the first week here because things were kind of getting off to a slow start. But I am ecstatic as I write this tonight, because God has ordained some amazing things for us to do that were not previously on our radar screen. The huge lesson for me recently, while still focusing on constantly abiding in Christ, has been that God is sovereign. I know that is something we have all learned, but this week I have experienced it in a profound way. There have been several “wow” moments for me lately, where all I could do afterwards was praise the Lord and recognize that He is the giver of every good thing.

Earlier this past week, we went to the vegetable market one morning with Annie. Things have been moving slowly with the college campuses, so we figured we would pray, go out to the market with her, and see what the Lord would place in our path. After shopping with her for a short while, Matt, Erin, and I walked down this side road to do some exploring. On our walk back to the market we saw a group of children playing soccer. I decided to go kick it around with them, and go introduce myself. Just as we were leaving, we were approached by a couple of guys a few years older than us, and they began to explain what they were doing out on the field. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, they play soccer in the morning with street kids, and then they share a devotional with them from the Bible. In the afternoons, they make beads with the kids that the children can sell for food money. These street kids have no homes, and they steal for a living, so it is a great way to keep the children out of trouble and share Christ with them. They have invited us to come share Jesus with the kids and play soccer with them whenever we want. I got the chance to wander out there during the week, and I spent a couple of hours just getting to know the kids. A few of them were sniffing glue right in front of me and were as high as a kite. Sniffing glue is a way for them to escape their horrible circumstances. Before I left, I got to share how they could know Jesus, and then I got to pray for the group. We have been praying, and God has been answering. He ordained these meetings in His infinite wisdom and perfect planning.

One other day this week, Rodney White was supposed to take me to the YMCA, where I could play sports with some of the Kenyan college students and get to know them. We were searching for a place where I could establish some genuine relationships with young Kenyan adults. Well, traffic was horrible, as it always is in Nairobi, and we simply could not make it to the YMCA. We asked God to lead us wherever He wanted to that day, and just around the corner we saw Graffins college (a business college). Rodney pulled in, and we figured we should go in and meet the administration to see if I was welcome on campus. We met the dean of students, Mr. Vincent Mwanza, who from the very first “hello” had a welcoming spirit about him. To make a long story short, he was more than happy for me to come on campus several times a week to get to know his students and sit in on a couple of business classes.

Continuing with the Graffins story, today I was at the college and met a solid Christian named Abel who Matt, Erin, and I got to talk to for a couple of hours. I showed up on campus with no ideas of how to start talking to these students, and he was the first person I saw. He invited me up to the cafeteria, and we sat and talked for an hour before we met up with Matt and Erin to continue the conversation about Christ, business, and our respective countries. I know I don’t do a great job of succinctly delivering the “wow” factor, but I can’t begin to tell you how much more I trust the Lord now after seeing Him work so clearly. He is bringing me to places where I have no idea what to do, and He is guiding me moment by moment into relationships that I pray could impact eternity. I had no idea what the last week would bring, but God rocked my world by introducing certain people into our lives who we didn’t even know existed a week ago. I am learning to completely surrender to what God wants to do, and God has honored that by orchestrating events that can only be explained by the sovereignty of an all-powerful, omniscient God. Praise the Lord who knows all things and is above all things! He is in control!

This week is going to be incredible! Our supervisors have been working hard to make sure we have a schedule for every day we have left here. This next week we will be teaching in the slums, working at a mobile eye clinic (offering free eye care to people in poverty in the region), and loving on street kids. God is giving us opportunity after opportunity to express His love to the world around us. We are realizing that we can express His life to anyone that we meet, no matter where we are. One thing I want to take back to America is the truth that no matter where I am, Christ can minister to others through me. There aren’t two distinct parts of our lives—a spiritual part and a secular part. If we allow it, everything can have spiritual implications. Please pray that God will continue to sovereignly ordain divine appointments for us to share Christ with others, whether that is by teaching the Gospel or by loving on them through our actions. Thanks so much for praying! I love you guys!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I was blessed beyond measure by this blog entry. You have become such an incredible writer. I laugh and cry and enjoy every word! But most of all, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the TRUTH." May the lessons you have learned over the past few months be forever in your heart and mind and sustain you throughout your life as you remember God's incredible faithfulness! He is so good! I love you!